Kia ora, welcome to Te Araroa Backpackers!
Having once served as a nunnery in Gisborne, the relocated building of Te Araroa Backpackers went through a transformation in the hands of Pauline and Gray Hovell. Losing nothing of its original soul, it gained a traditional Maori touch with the creative craftsmanship of its owners, and as well as being open for visitors, serves as a home for their family.
Surrounded by the ocean and protected by the mountains, the residence is in the wild, yet at peace, and within a short walking distance of shops. Te Araroa Backpackers welcomes You to enjoy Your stay here. We also have workshops running from January to March consisting of making your own Bone Carving,Greenstone,an weaving a kete (Monday & Thursday) Booking essential.
Te Araroa Backpackers offers You:
- BBQ area on large grounds
- Rooms for couples/doubles, 1 bunk room, and an attic area with double and single beds
- Separate kitchen and an outside dining area
- Hot/cold breakfasts
- Local river swimming possibility at a walking distance
- Herbal bath possibility in a tub amidst the native bush
- Wireless internet
- Art and crafts gallery on site
- Heritage sights.
- Motorhome parking
- Local expertise and Maori knowledge